THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY OF THE YEAR VOLUME 2 edited by Jonathan Strahan, cover art by John Berkey. San Francisco, CA; Night Shade Books; 2008. 1st edition trade paperback.
The depth and breadth of what science fiction and fantasy fiction is changes with every passing year. The two dozen stories chosen for this book by award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan carefully maps this evolution, giving readers a captivating and always-entertaining look at the very best the genre has to offer.
Jonathan Strahan has edited more than twenty anthologies and collections, including The Locus Awards, The New Space Opera, The Jack Vance Treasury, and a number of year's best annuals. He has won the Ditmar, William J. Atheling Jr. and Peter McNamara Awards for his work as an anthologist, and is the reviews editor for Locus.
* Introduction, Jonathan Strahan;
* The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, Ted Chiang,
* The Last and Only, or Mr. Moskowitz,
* Becomes French, Peter S. Beagle,
* Trunk and Disorderly, Charles Stross,
* Glory, Greg Egan,
* Dead Horse Point, Daryl Gregory,
* The Dreaming Wind, Jeffrey Ford,
* The Coat of Stars, Holly Black,
* The Prophet of Flores, Ted Kosmatka,
* Wizard's Six, Alex Irvine,
* The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics, Daniel Abraham,
* By Fools Like Me, Nancy Kress,
* Kiosk, Bruce Sterling,
* Singing of Mount Abora, Theodora Goss,
* The Witch's Headstone, Neil Gaiman,
* Last Contact, Stephen Baxter,
* Jesus Christ, Reanimator, Ken Macleod,
* Sorrel's Heart, Susan Palwick,
* Urdumheim, Michael Swanwick,
* Holiday, M. Rickert,
* The Valley of the Gardens, Tony Daniel,
* Winter's Wife, Elizabeth Hand,
* The Sky is Large and the Earth is Small, Chris Roberson,
* Orm the Beautiful, Elizabeth Bear,
* The Constable of Abal, Kelly Link.